Architecture and Ceramics
Ah, it’s been a rocky old road making this quilt. I have to say though, it’s by far the most ambitious thing I’ve ever made, and I couldn’t have done it any earlier than I did. For once, I just gestated and gestated the idea until it was ready to be made.
So I started off with this pile of velvet samples. I spent ages rearranging them, and I knew I wanted to use them in a way that showed each lovely colour off, and also stretched the fabric as far as it would go… I wanted to make something BIG.
I made all these HSTs [half square triangles… learn the lingo!]
This is the back, when I finished the quilt top. The back surround is a mix of blocks of moleskin and corduroy; my favourite fabrics.
I got housemaid’s knee basting the whole thing. If there’s one thing I learned, is that an extra ten minutes agony on your knees basting is worth an extra hour’s swearing when your quilt sandwich slides off your knee. I don’t have a quilting frame, so my ‘quilting position’ is on the chaise, knees up, one hand under, one hand over, stretching the quilt gently over my lap. It seems to work, as long as I’ve basted loads and loads. This quilt weighs a tonne, so it worked even better because it pulled itself taut as I was working. Thinner fabrics move with your hand.
The finished quilt is about 1.8m x 1.5m, but it looks squarer than I thought it might.
The Pig gives his seal of approval. I think he looks rather charming against the orange colours!
This was the first time